Sunday, February 3, 2013

Great Blue Heron

Emily and I had a lot of fun this afternoon, as we headed down to Compo Beach, then over to Sherwood Island State Park - both solid spots for bird watching. It was cold, with temps around freezing - but we found several new species to add to our Life List, including a juvenile Great Blue Heron (see pics below), Mute Swan, and a Red-winged Blackbird among others. While not a great time of year for adventuring outside, I am learning about some of the good spots to regularly visit come the Spring migration . . .


Yesterday, Marianne and I traveled up to the headquarters of the CT Audubon Society, which is located in Fairfield, CT. We joined the organization, and bought some new seed and suet, and a terrific laminated folding (graphical) field guide (Backyard Birds of New England) by David Sibley, who I am learning is one the best source for such guides. I think I will go back and get the Shoreline Birds folding guide at the CT Audubon Society next weekend. We have his larger "The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America" and it is truly a definitive source for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment