Monday, February 18, 2013

Sapsucker Woods

Marianne, Emily and I just got back from a very nice visit with Sarah at Cornell over the weekend. Joining us on our adventure was my sister Peg, who recently relocated to the East Coast from Ohio. I must say that it is fun to see our daughter grow into her skin and become the amazing young lady she now is. Next step, graduation! 

Since kick-starting my more focused birding adventure (just prior to the New Year), I quickly learned about the amazing resources available through the Cornell Lab of Ornithology - and it's comprehensive Online Guide.

Since we were heading north anyway, I went online and learned that they organize Guided Bird Walks on Saturday and Sunday mornings in the 230-acre Sapsucker Woods, led by members of the local bird association. 

Cedar Waxwing
Despite temperatures reaching the high teens (at best), I ventured out on Sunday at 9am - and was joined by nine others on a very fun 90-minute walk with Bill our guide. Luckily it wasn't very windy. What I learned most from the walk is how much of a better listener I need to become, and to study up on the many myriad sounds of the forest - and the songs being sung! 

Many of the species we found were familiar to me, as I suppose we live in a similar climatic zone to Cornell (e.g., Black-capped Chickadee, Downy Woodpeckers, Blue Jays, et al). 

Hairy Woodpecker
However, there were several new species that I was able to add to my quickly growing Life List - including a Cedar Waxwing, a Hairy Woodpecker (which is a bigger version of a Downy Woodpecker - with a longer beak), a White-breasted Nuthatch and a White-throated Sparrow. 

There were numerous other birds identified by Bill, but since I didn't actually see them I haven't counted them . . . 

On my way out of the sanctuary, I spotted a massive female Red-tailed Hawk. We have a nesting pair that live across the street from us in Westport (up a 100' + Oak), so we see them fairly regularly (especially in winter when they cruise the sky and there are no leaves hiding them) - but this beauty was fun to watch, as I sat for nearly 10 minutes before she flew off . . .

I highly recommend visiting the Lab if any readers visit Ithaca! We will be returning for Sarah's graduation in May, and I certainly hope for another Guided Walk in the Woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment